Friday, March 19, 2010

Cowards Only Have Concequences

Nowadays, I'm being told that anonymity is in! Well, forget that. My name is Cathryn. There, now you know. Pesky introductions aside, this is a blog and I'm going to blog in it. It's going to be about theatre things. I'll say what you all are thinking, like, who gives a shit if you say "cast album" or "soundtrack?" I don't, but I am smart enough to know that it's incorrect to refer to the recording of a musical's songs as a soundtrack, but I won't jump down your throat about it. I don't give a shit.

I also spell theatre the RIGHT way. With an re. Like it's supposed to be spelled.

More about me and why I believe I'm qualified to have a theatre blog:

I live in a suburb of the capital of California. The theatres I frequent most often are the Community Center Theatre and the California Music Circus. Last year (2009) at those theatres, I saw Legally Blonde, Spring Awakening (got to sit onstage for that!), Altar Boyz, and the final three shows of RENT. I also took a vacation to La Jolla and saw Christian Borle in a shiny new play with music called Peter and the Starcatchers. The year before that at those theatres, I saw Evita (with La Murney), Mamma Mia!, Hairspray, Jeckyll and Hyde, and some other shows that I can't remember but I'm sure I saw more than that.

My first live show was either Beauty and the Beast or Into the Woods. I can't really remember which one because, at the time, theatre had no affect on me. I didn't really get into Broadway musicals and plays until I was 16 and I saw RENT for the first time. Yes, it was the movie and fuck you if you think that I'm not a real RENThead because I saw the movie first. Do NOT even get me started with that Stan bullshit. The next musical I got into was Wicked and yes, since then I've recognized the "error" of my ways. It's not Shakespeare and it's not trying to be, but it's fuh-REAKING entertaining and I enjoy a good Murney rendition of "No Good Deed."

The "Murney" I'm referring to is Julia Murney. She is my almighty; my supreme; my omega. She is so beautiful, and she can sing, and she's the most versatile actress I've ever seen. She is perfect, and I adore her. Some of my favorite performers are Julia, the previously mentioned Christian Borle, Susan Blackwell, Andy Karl, Megan Hilty, Laura Bell Bundy, Karen Olivo, Robin De Jesus and a few others. I'm very picky when it comes to my favorites.

Typically, my favorite musicals ARE my favorite musicals because they make me HAPPY. I don't give a shit that you think they suck. I happen to adore Legally Blonde with all my heart. It's fun and it's witty and I love the fact that people judge that musical like people judge Elle in the actual show. It's complete bullshit, and it's hilarious. Technically speaking, Legally Blonde is a perfect musical. If you want to learn how to turn a movie into a musical, refer to Legally Blonde. It's perfect. And I don't care what anyone says, Laura deserved that Tony award for the work she did on that show. She was literally onstage 90% of the time dancing and singing and acting, mostly at the same time. That had "Tony Award-winning performance" written all over it.

Some of my other favorite shows happen to be Passing Strange, Spring Awakening, tick, tick...BOOM!, RENT, [title of show], Bare: A Pop Opera, Wicked, In the Heights, Next to Normal, Hair, Altar Boyz, Bright Lights, Big City; Dreamgirls, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Into the Woods, Little Shop of Horrors, Spamalot, Prodigal, Elegies: A Song Cycle, Rooms: A Rock Romance, and Lippa's The Wild Party.

The bottom line is that this blog is an escape for me. I've never felt more myself than when I'm pretending to be someone else. I'm going through some shit and theatre is my escape. If you're willing to read along and go on this journey with me, then thank you.

I let my pain fuck my ego and I call the bastard art!

What You Should Have Learned:

1. I don't fuck around.
2. I live in California.
3. I LOVE BROADWAY MUSICALS.
4. I adore Julia Murney.
5. I REALLY don't fuck around when it comes to RENT or Legally Blonde.

No comments:

Post a Comment